Becoming a professional welder can be fulfilling.
Read on in order to find out more about this profession and what it entails.
We will also provide you information on schools where you can get trained.
- Job Responsibilities in Minnesota
- Why You Should Work in Minnesota
- Median Salary in Minnesota
- Where can I find a job in Minnesota?
- Best Welding Schools in Minnesota
- Other job opportunities in Minnesota
- Top Welding Programs Around Minnesota
Job Responsibilities in Minnesota
A welder needs to have some specific skills.
The job requires the melting and heating of metals in order to fuse them.
Most Important Job Duties
There are duties you will be performing on a day to day basis:
- Reading and comprehending some guidelines, sketches, and blueprints.
- All the guidelines should be adhered to.
- Pick the right welding technique out of the 100 by analyzing the materials at hand.
- The most common techniques include shielded metal arc welding, tungsten arc welding, and gas metal arc welding.
- Decide on the instruments to use based on the chosen technique.
- Preserve the gear and instruments in order for them to be used.
- You will be working with both manual and electric tools, which need to be combined at times to achieve the desired result.
Why You Should Work in Minnesota
A welder’s work can be viewed even after years have passed.
You will get to work on important projects like building bridges and other structures,
You will work outdoors and use your hands to complete the tasks.
By 2024, jobs in welding will see a 6% increase, as reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Skills required in welding:
- A keen eye to detail;
- Technical strengths;
- Physical force and endurance;
- Good with handiwork;
- Spatial-orientation awareness.
Median Salary in Minnesota
In Minnesota, the average wage for a welder is $40 324 a year, compared to $39 533 yearly in other US areas.
The top 10% best-paid welders in Minnesota make $46 326 per year, higher than in other US regions where the salary is $45 418 yearly.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salaries of Welders in Minnesota
Where can I find a job in Minnesota?
You will find plenty of options in Minnesota.
Some of the industries include:
- Building structures, such as bridges;
- Aerospace applications;
- Gas & oil field power plants and refineries;
- Shipbuilding or Constructing boats;
- Car & motorbike fabrication and maintenance.
Best Welding Schools in Minnesota
The American Welding Society’s SENSE Accreditation Program accepted 13 schools in this state.
Required classes like Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (TIG), Shielded Metal Arc Welding (stick), and Gas Metal Arc Welding (MIG) are offered by each school.
These courses will teach you the basics of welding.
You will also need to present your GED or high school diploma to attend the school you choose.
Some schools accept 10th-grade students, however, this is not the norm.
13 Top Welding Schools in Minnesota
|School Name||Address||Phone Number|
|Anoka-Hennepin Secondary Technical Education Program||1353 West Highway 10, Anoka, MN 55303 United States||(763) 433-4000|
|Central Lakes College||501 W College Dr, Brainerd, MN 56401 United States||(218) 821-4773|
|Dakota County Tech College||1300 145th St E, Rosemount, MN 55068 United States||(651) 423-8479|
|Hennepin Technical College – Brooklyn||9000 Brooklyn Blvd, Brooklyn Park, MN 55445 United States||(763) 488-2579|
|Independent School District #728||815 Highway 10 Elk River, MN 55330 United States||(763) 241-3400|
|Mesabi Range Community & Technical College||1100 Industrial Park Drive, P.O. Box 648, Eveleth, MN 55734 United States||(218) 741-3095|
|Minnesota Correctional Facility – Stillwater||970 Pickett Street North, Bayport, MN 55003 United States||(651) 779-2700 ext. 2576|
|Northland Community And Technical College – Thief River Falls Campus||1101 Highway 1 E, Thief River Falls, MN 56701 United States||(218) 683-8800|
|Northwest Technical College – Grand Fork Campus||East Grand Forks, 2022 Central Ave NE, East Grand Fork, MN 56721 United States||(218) 793-2632|
|Northwest Technical College – Moorhead Campus||1900 28th Ave S, Moorhead, MN 56560 United States||(218) 299-6546|
|Riverland Community College||2200 Riverland Dr, Albert Lea, MN 56007 United States||(507) 379-3343|
|South Central Tech College||125 SW 3rd St, Faribault MN, 55021 United States||(507) 334-3965|
|St. Cloud Technical & Community College||1540 Northway Drive, St. Cloud, MN 56303 United States||(508) 416-2270|
To ensure the data is still accurate, you should doublecheck it.
Other job opportunities in Minnesota
You may also want to look into:
- Making boilers;
- Plumbing, Pipe-fitting, and Steamfitting;
- Sheet Metal Work.